The Love of the Run

The Love of the Run

Monday, November 14, 2011

Colorado/Altitude Training

Altitude camp in Colorado for 18 days:

Colorado Springs
I drove to Colorado Springs (6000 feet) and arrived Friday the 18th of October.  I spent my first 4 days here.  I had a really difficult time adjusting to altitude.  The first night I couldn't breathe or swallow, I was miserable.  I slept a total of 4 hours the first two nights and woke up with my hands numb and my head throbbing.  I was ready to head home or to the hospital!  It took me about 5 days to adjust, but I did eventually.  My sore throat improved, but I did lose my voice while out there-- luckily I spent most of my trip in isolation so it wasn't an issue! 

 I ran the majority of my workouts while in Colorado Springs at the Garden of the Gods, which was absolutely stunning.   Jordan flew in Tuesday for 5 days and we ran in the Garden that day.  While out running Jordan was joking about seeing horses on the trail as we kept running past piles of horse droppings.  I am not a fan of horses (intimidating!!) and made some comment about how I really would hate if that happened.   SO of course about 5 minutes later we came upon 4 of them!!!!

Estes Park (7500-8000 feet)
I was here for 7 days, alone! Beautiful, great running in the Rocky Mountains.  It was HARD running at this high of altitude.  I averaged 13 minute pace while running in the Rockies one day.  My coach had told me to run 10 minute pace for recovery runs.  I was thinking that is going to be impossible to run that slow.... I was wrong....
 


Elk ruled Estes.  They were everywhere!   They were constantly in traffic and were fearless.  I drove up to one and was very tempted to pet one from my car-- I actually had my arm out and was ready to touch one when last minute I decided that probably wasn't a smart idea and moved on.  Didn't feel like explaining that one to my coach.


Arvada (5500 feet)

Jordan and I spent a few days house sitting in Arvada for his good friend Greg. I knew I'd get along with Greg after my first encounter with him.  I asked him a question that I expected a resounding yes to and he responded "absolutely not". Greg and his wife also had a beautiful dog Mia  and two cats, one of which apparently is obsessed with males and wouldn't leave Jordans side, lap etc.  While I was in Estes I drove down a few days and ran with Greg. I felt so FAST coming down from Estes to run in Arvada compared to how I felt in Estes (about a 2000 foot difference).  A highlight of my visit in Colorado was running a 10k tempo a few days before I left for New York.  I ran 37:00 at marathon pace effort and it felt effortless. The race was called the Eerie Erie.  It was a costume race and you can see  Mia and Greg dressed for the occassion!  Also Gregs neighborhood was "spooky." Some of the most elaborate and lavish Halloween decorating I've ever seen occured in the little city of Arvada.    




Fort Collins (5000 feet)
I spent 3 days in Fort Collins with Jen and Matt in their amazing home.  It was very relaxing in Fort Collins.  Jen and Matt were amazing helping me find trails to run, cooking meals, laundry and Jen was my savior in Estes as she drove into Estes to meet me for dinner near the end of my stay there.  By the end of my stay in Estes I was starting to get lonely and was SO happy to have some company!   Jen is also a marathon runner so we automatically had a lot to talk about!  There was an extensive trail system in Fort Collins.  I was able to run soft, flat and easy in Fort Collins, exactly what I was in need of after my stay in Estes. I wasn't having any hamstring issues while in Colorado, but having some heel and foot pain yet, so trying to run as soft and flat as often as possible.

Bently and Panda, missing is Suunta-great dogs!   Loved these guys.  Although Suunta loved to fly through the air like a missle at me the first few days. 

The Jens!   I was the first house guest- so honored!  Can't wait to visit again :)  Jen even set the timer on the coffee to be ready for me when I woke up every morning.   Simply amazing!